Eating healthy and having an active lifestyle are fundamental to our physical and mental fitness.
It defines every aspect of our health. Everyday juggling between the demands at work and home and with children busy with school work and extracurriculars, often results in Family and Fitness not getting as much attention as they should. This dilemma can be solved by combining Family time with Fitness time. Planning and engaging in a family fitness routine, on a regular basis, can produce many valuable and lasting benefits.
Benefits of Family Fitness:
- As you work towards your own fitness goals, you set an excellent example for your children. It helps them develop positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. They will be more likely to carry healthy habits into adulthood.
- Families who keep fit with each other see their attachment, social development and emotional management skills improve.
- Reinforces family bonds and creates wonderful traditions while simultaneously boosting activity levels.
- Family mealtimes and family fitness routines are excellent opportunities to spend quality time with everyone in the family, in our otherwise busy schedules.
- Treasured memories are made of times you spend laughing and simply enjoying each other’s company.
- Improves the ability to carry out daily tasks with vigour and alertness.
- Reduces stress and fatigue with ample energy to enjoy leisure-time pursuits.
Tips for Family Fitness Activities:
- Every family is different, so make a list of physical activities that everyone enjoys doing together.
- Plan for at least one family activity every weekend.
- Set aside at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week to do some form of exercise together.
- Walking is the simplest of healthy activities. It costs nothing and can be enjoyed almost anywhere. Take an evening walk with family where everyone can share their days events.
- If safe cycling routes are available with areas that are traffic-free, then family cycling is a good activity option.
- Plan for a hike or a trek on some holidays.
- Visiting the zoo, or exploring a theme park is something that can be enjoyed by the family. It also involves expending plenty of calories when walking around.
- Outdoor games in the garden like basketball, throw ball, skipping, frisbee, etc. are good options.
- Indoor games where considerable movement is involved like badminton, bowling, table tennis, etc. or simply playing some foot tapping music and dancing together are always fun activities.
- Family fitness is a way of life, not an instant fix. Give yourself time and space to make changes and form new habits.